Sunday, August 12, 2012

Perseid Meteor Shower 2012 Update

As I said I would this post is an update on the Perseid Meteor Shower. I went out about 10pm last night to see if I could see anything yet. Nothing. Went back out about 11pm and didn't see anything. We waited until about 1230am and sat in lawn chairs. But after a few minutes of craning your neck we decided to get an old blanket and pillows and lay on the ground.

We stayed out until about 2am and saw a fair few meteors. They started out very faint but there was a bunch at the end that were bright and had a nice trail (or tail? I don't know but you get the idea). We had to battle with a street light and a light in the yard as we really didn't have any place we could go that was totally dark. But given the circumstances we still saw around 20 or so nice meteors. Given our luck during previous meteor showers as I mentioned in my last post, we were both ecstatic to see that many. I'm still all giddy now.

At 2am we went to bed but I was still up at 3am and decided to look again. With in the first minute I saw two more and then 10 within the first ten minutes. So I went to see if my brother wanted to come back outside. He didn't. He had to work in the morning. I sat outside for another 30 minutes but only saw maybe 6 or 7 more meteors. Sadly it looks like it will be cloudy tonight so I may not be able to go back out again :(

All in all I'm happy to finally see a meteor shower but I wouldn't trade all those cold winter nights/mornings with my brother when we were younger trying to see a bit of space action.

No comments:

Post a Comment