Saturday, August 11, 2012

Perseid Meteor Shower 2012

The Perseid Meteor Shower starts tonight. I've read that you can see them after 10/11pm but they will be the most active in the hours just before dawn. Not only is this supposed to be the best shower of the year but Venus and Jupiter are supposed to be very visible. I hope to actually see something this time around.

What do I mean by that you ask? Well when I was younger (middle school I think.) my brother found out about a couple different meteor showers. So, on school nights, we woke up at like 2 or 3am to go out and watch the meteors. We would stay outside, staring up until we couldn't feel our toes. But that was only a temporary problem. Since we had a wood burning stove we would just run inside and sit in front of it for a few minutes. I even remember being so tired that I fell asleep in front of the fire. Now remember this was during the middle of winter, on a school night, at 3 am. And we never saw a single meteor!

But it was totally worth it every time. Even if we don't see anything once again at least we were doing something we love. BUT in the event that we do actually get to see some meteors we downloaded the Meteor Counter app that you can see on the Nasa link here.

I will post again tomorrow to give an update on how it goes tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment